Benton to compete in Quiz Bowl state finals Saturday | Schools
CONWAY, Ark. (AETN) — High school students will showcase their intellect in the annual Arkansas Governor’s Academic Competition at the Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) Saturday, April 28, in “Arkansas Quiz Bowl 2012.”
“Quiz Bowl 2012” will be broadcast on Saturday in two sections – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m. The finals will involve seven conferences for a total of 14 teams.
The first round of matches beginning at 10 a.m. will include in order of appearance:
- 2A – Gurdon vs. Cedar Ridge (Newark)
- 7A – Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences and the Arts (Hot Springs) vs. Conway
- 4A – Nashville vs. Subiaco Academy
- 5A – Watson Chapel (Pine Bluff) vs. Huntsville
The second round of matches beginning at 2 p.m. will include in order of appearance:
- 3A – Episcopal Collegiate (Little Rock) vs. Centerpoint (Amity)
- 6A – Benton vs. Parkview Arts Science Magnet (Little Rock)
- 1A – eStem Public Charter (Little Rock) vs. Haas Hall Academy (Fayetteville)
The public is invited to be a part of the audience at the AETN studios, 350 South Donaghey, Conway, and will be seated on a first come, first served basis. Spectators will be admitted via the Sesame Street entrance and should arrive no later than 9:30 a.m. for the early round and 1:30 p.m. for the later round.
“Quiz Bowl” is a celebration and recognition of scholarship that has been an AETN tradition since 1985. In a series of questions, players must display their knowledge in literature, math, science, history, art, music and economics. Teams from across the state compete for the chance to represent the Natural State in national tournaments.
All games are broadcast from AETN, and scholarship money will be awarded.
The Arkansas Governor’s Quiz Bowl Association holds regional tournaments around the state during March. Teams are assigned to a site, and a random drawing places the teams on the pairing schedule. A percentage of teams in the tournament advance to the state tournament. The top two teams from each classification advance to the State Conference Finals.
The Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) is Arkansas’s statewide public television network that enhances lives by providing lifelong learning opportunities for people from all walks of life. AETN delivers local, award-winning productions and classic, trusted PBS programs aimed at sharing Arkansas and the world with viewers. AETN depends on the generosity of Arkansans and the State of Arkansas to continue offering quality programming. For more information, visit www.aetn.org, or follow the AETN blog at www.aetn.org/engage. AETN is broadcast on KETS (Little Rock), KEMV (Mountain View), KETG (Arkadelphia), KAFT (Fayetteville), KTEJ (Jonesboro), and KETZ (El Dorado).
Upcoming Events near Benton Bryant
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Boys and Girls Club of Central Arkansas will provide free shoes to children in need
- Military Museum to host Holiday Concert
- Lisa Academy Charter School collecting shoes for Soles4Souls
- Christmas in the Quarter Celebrates 10th Anniversary Sunday
- A “Belew Christmas” at Wildwood Park for the Arts cancelled